The Clinton Foundation is working now to “spin off” or “find partners” for many of its programs, including all international activities and programs funded by foreign and corporate donors, the head of the Clinton Foundation told NPR’s Peter Overby. The “unraveling,” which would be an attempt to prevent conflicts, would go into effect if Hillary Clinton is elected president.
It will take time to make the changes to each of the foundation’s affected programs, said Clinton Foundation President Donna Shalala. “This kind of unraveling has to be done with a scalpel so that we just do not hurt people, and do not interrupt the very good work that’s being done,” she said.
Many of the foundation’s programs would become separate non-governmental organizations “without us participating in the governance obviously,” Shalala said. Partner organizations, she said, would also “continue the work that was started by the Clinton Foundation.”
Founded by President Bill Clinton, the foundation has become a major player in international health and global philanthropy. In 2014, the Clinton Foundation reported $439 million in assets and $338 million in revenue, with $217 million spent on programs.
But it has also been heavily criticized for potential conflicts with the State Department under Hillary Clinton’s leadership. Released emails have shown some efforts to connect donors or associates at the foundation to personnel at the State Department.
And on Tuesday, The Associated Press reported that as secretary of state, Clinton met or had phone conversations with 154 private citizens — more than half were donors or connected to entities that gave money to the foundation or its projects.
In response, Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence called for the foundation to be “immediately shut down” and for an “independent special prosecutor [to] be appointed to determine if access to Hillary Clinton was for sale.” Donald Trump has also called for the foundation to be shut down.
The foundation announced last week that if Hillary Clinton were to be elected, Bill Clinton would step down from the foundation board and it would stop accepting money from foreign and corporate sources. Shalala said Chelsea Clinton would remain on the board.
Shalala insisted the changes are not a reactionary move. “We’re not responding to the outside criticism,” she said. “I was brought in a year ago to help start thinking through what the form would take if she was elected, and the president wanted to do it very carefully.”
It would have been “presumptuous” to make such changes before Clinton was the nominee, Shalala said.
The Clintons could have avoided conflicts by letting an independent board of directors oversee decisions, said Leslie Lenkowsky of the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University. But, he said, he hasn’t seen any clear evidence that foundation donors got more than small favors from Hillary Clinton’s State Department. “Unless it really gets to affecting public business, you know, it’s not nice to look at and the donors shouldn’t do it,” he said. “But you know, it happens all the time.”
“The most important thing to the president and to Chelsea is that the work continues but under different umbrellas away from the foundation, obviously, because we will not be able to accept corporate donations or international money as we have to support our programs,” Shalala continued.
Bill Clinton “will not be involved” in the initiatives that are spinning off or merging with another foundation, Shalala said. He also would not do any fundraising for the foundation.
So what would remain of the foundation? “We have some things that are funded by American foundations,” Shalala said. She also pointed to the presidential library and Clinton center in Little Rock, Ark. “There are elements of the Clinton Foundation that people often don’t think about that stay forever.”
If Clinton wins the election, Bill Clinton will not have any official connection to the foundation, Shalala said, but “I’m sure he’s going to go visit his library.” [2016 NPR]
Image Credit: Ben Curtis/AP
Adults who watch TV for three hours or more each day may double their risk of premature death compared to those who watch less, according to new research published in the Journal of the American Heart Association.
“Television viewing is a major sedentary behavior and there is an increasing trend toward all types of sedentary behaviors,” said Miguel Martinez-Gonzalez, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., the study’s lead author and professor and chair of the Department of Public Health at the University of Navarra in Pamplona, Spain. “Our findings are consistent with a range of previous studies where time spent watching television was linked to mortality.”
Researchers assessed 13,284 young and healthy Spanish university graduates (average age 37, 60 percent women) to determine the association between three types of sedentary behaviors and risk of death from all causes: television viewing time, computer time and driving time. The participants were followed for a median 8.2 years.
Researchers reported 97 deaths, with 19 deaths from cardiovascular causes, 46 from cancer and 32 from other causes.
The risk of death was twofold higher for participants who reported watching three or more hours of TV a day compared to those watching one or less hours. This twofold higher risk was also apparent after accounting for a wide array of other variables related to a higher risk of death.
Researchers found no significant association between the time spent using a computer or driving and higher risk of premature death from all causes. Researchers said further studies are needed to confirm what effects may exist between computer use and driving on death rates, and to determine the biological mechanisms explaining these associations.
“As the population ages, sedentary behaviors will become more prevalent, especially watching television, and this poses an additional burden on the increased health problems related to aging,” Martinez-Gonzalez said. “Our findings suggest adults may consider increasing their physical activity, avoid long sedentary periods, and reduce television watching to no longer than one to two hours each day.”
The study cited previous research that suggests that half of U.S. adults are leading sedentary lives.
The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, or at least 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity each week. You should also do moderate- to high-intensity muscle strengthening at least two days a week.
Co-authors are Francisco Basterra Gortari, M.D., Ph.D.; Maira Bes Rastrollo, Pharm.D., Ph.D.; Alfredo Gea, Pharm.D.; Jorge Nunez Cordoba, M.D., Ph.D.; and EstefaniaToledo, M.D., Ph.D. All belong to CIBER-OBN a research network funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (Official Spanish agency for funding biomedical research).
Author disclosures are on the manuscript.
Grants from Instituto de Salud Carlos III, regional government grants and the University of Navarra funded the study.
8th AUGUST 2016.
A pregnant woman goes into labor at her home at Nyakwerema village, Bonyarorande location, Kiabonyoru ward, Nyamira county. The woman stops her work smearing her house and gets ready to go to hospital. The woman, being alone at home goes down to the road alone since there’s nobody at home with her. On her way to the road, she is overwhelmed by labor pains and sits down at the side of the road.
A neighbor finds her lying down and looks for ways of helping her to the hospital.
By 06:00 pm she arrives at Nyamira level 5 hospital and the nurses direct her to the maternity wing. She is directly taken into the labor room for delivery .
(NO ASSESSMENT IS DONE FIRST)
The lady, now forced into labor goes through all the pain and wailing and gives birth to an overwhelmed baby who dies in the process of birth.
The nurses realize at this point that the pelvic bones aren’t intact and they had moved before birth.
The nurses rush the woman to theater while in a comma. The guy at the theater tries to lie her under the broken down life support machine but it doesn’t help. He tries to give phone calls to his seniors who don’t respond. He recommends the patient be referred to Kisii level 6 hospital. The guy leaves the patient at the entrance of the theater room and rushes down to the emergency unit. (I wonder why there are no direct departmental calls) He meets a lady driver to the ambulance who I forms him the ambulance has no fuel.
He rushes back to theater trying to make phone calls all in vain.
THE LADY PASSED ON AT THE THEATER ENTRANCE.
I receive a phone call that my lovely sister has passed on. Emotional and crying we drive all the from Kisii town to Nyamira. As I enter the watchman Is sitted at some corner with the lady ambulance driver. They act remorseful and tell us “pole gaki”.
We ask to view the body expecting it to be at the mortuary but we are directed to the theater room. I enter an empty room with blood smeared all the walls and doors, bloody gloves,uniforms boots thrown all over. I look at the guy sitted at one end if the theater seemingly behaving like we aren’t present.
I move closer to his computer and realize he is playing cards(spider solitaire).
We ask to view the body and we are directed back to the door where we find our sister lifeless and her face full if hopeless. She looks tired in death.Blood is all over her and she isn’t properly covered. Her dignity is now thrown away. We turn back to the guy.
“Hey doctor what happened?
Am sorry her bones had moved we could not help.
Yes those ones.
I realize he doesn’t understand his job.
We walk away and ask him to call the mortuary attendant. He tells us that mortuary attendant can’t be reached. He must be somewhere drinking right now. He will come to collect the body in the morning.
I move to another department, build a relationship with those there, we have a little chat and ask him to intervene in having the body booked at the mortuary. I promise the attendant through this guy on phone that I will give something for his drink.
He promised to come shortly.
(It’s three hours since we came)
The mortuary attendant comes after 5-10 phone calls and after like 45 minutes since he promised.
We try to engage him but he responds rudely to us.
He goes to the mortuary comes with his trolley(don’t know the proper name) He goes around picking other bodies assuming us.
Later I face him. (Hey bro, I love the way you are helping us. Take this tea for the good work) He smiles. Pushed his trolley to the theater room picks the body and takes it to the mortuary together with the dead child.
At the mortuary all the bodies are lying there at the entrance. It’s really stinking. I stand at the door. He takes our body and conducts his operations for preserving the body. He tells ‘ulinichunga vizuri nitawashughulikia'” I am sure the body is booked in the mortuary.
I leave few relatives who had just come and we drive back to Kisii town. Very sad and not knowing what to do.
It’s 03:11 in the morning.
All through the night I call the only office that should be giving hope to the county residents in vain. I text Mr Onchana who doesn’t respond at that time(I understand he is asleep)
He wakes up in the morning and directs me to the director health Mr Bosire.
I call Bosire and he tells me he is busy attending to the governor’s events at the villages.
“I AM HOPELESS IN MY COUNTY. MY GOVERNOR SAID HE HAS BUILT FOUR THEATER ROOMS BUT I CAN ONLY FIND ONE STINKING HALL. MY AUNT IS DEAD. MY FAMILY IS WAILING. MY COUNTY KILLED ONE OF HIS OWN. NYAMIRA IS EATING IT’S OWN BABIES
The Council on Islamic-American Relations said Tuesday it had filed the lawsuit in a Michigan district court on behalf of Charee Stanley saying the airline did not accommodate her religious beliefs.
A lawsuit has been filed on behalf of a Muslim flight attendant who was suspended from her job with ExpressJet Airlines last year after she refused to serve alcohol to passengers, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.
The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR for short, filed the suit on behalf the woman, Charee Stanley.
Stanley was based out of Detroit at the time of her suspension.
The suit claims that ExpressJet did not provide reasonable religious accommodation for Stanley. They are seeking back pay and other damages.
ExpressJet Airlines did not release a direct comment on the lawsuit.
A Muslim woman in Gary, Indiana was told to either remove her traditional religious veil or leave the convenience store in which she was shopping.
Sarah Safi says she was picking up charcoal for a cookout at a nearby Family Dollar when the cashier asked that she remove her niqab and hijab — a traditional veil worn by Muslim women to cover their face while in public.
After being asked to show her face, Safi began recording on her cell phone.
The cashier tells Safi that because the store is located in a “high-crime” area, she needs to either remove her hijab or leave the store. The cashier also threatened to call the police if she didn’t show her face.
“Do I wait for the police to come and let my children see this, or do I go ahead and just go and let Allah handle it how he sees fit?” Safi is heard saying in the video.
Safi eventually left without buying any charcoal. Her children watched the altercation from the car.
“I would like to sit with her and speak to her about what I believe in, because maybe if she heard and really listened to what I believe it I would open her heart,” Safi told WLS.
Frances Gillett of Ely, Cambridgeshire, turned 75 on Sunday, news outlets reported. She has also survived breast cancer and tuberculosis. Life expectancy has increased for people with the disorder.
There is some dispute as to who exactly is the oldest person with Down syndrome. In July 2014, Oklahoma woman Dollie Grissom turned 74, and at the time, local media outlets dubbed her the world’s oldest woman with Down syndrome.
In 2012, an 83-year-old man with Down syndrome from Minnesota, Bert Holbrook, died in the town of Waseca. Staff members at his care home had submitted Holbrook’s name and age to the Guinness Book of World Records in 2008, according to the Mankato Free Press.
“It’s critical that children understand that there are multiple perspectives,” Doug Mesner, the Temple’s co-founder, told Washington Post about the group’s proposal to petition school officials.
Doug Mesner, who also goes by the name Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the Satanic Temple, with a statue of Baphomet at the group’s meeting house in Salem, Mass. (Josh Reynolds/For The Washington Post)
Several U.S. school districts indicated Monday that they think the Satanic Temple’s plan to open “After School Satan” clubs in elementary schools probably conforms with their policies and local laws, and the Prince George’s County, Md., school system said it is reviewing a request to open such a club.
If the districts allow the clubs, it would pave the way for the Temple to create a counterpoint to evangelical Christian clubs in schools nationwide.
The Satanic Temple on Monday contacted school districts across the country to announce that it wants to open after-school clubs that focus on teaching reason and science, including at an elementary school in Prince George’s. Temple leaders in part want to make the point that religion should not be taught in public schools, and they are working to start clubs in schools or school districts that have hosted proselytizing religious clubs, such as the Good News Club, which is allowed to sponsor groups in schools.
Parents and administrators have reacted coolly to the idea of setting up a Jesus-vs.-Satan fight in their elementary schools, with many showing curiosity and skepticism. School officials in Prince George’s said they have received a request to start a club and are reviewing it, but the school system has not had any discussions with the Satanic Temple about it. The Temple said it wants to open a club at Bradbury Heights Elementary School, which is in the Capitol Heights neighborhood just outside the southeast edge of Washington.